Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What are your sparkly shoes?

Last week I headed into town to go to the dreaded DMV.  Much to my surprise and delight, it was a process that took about 20 minutes and the gal helping me couldn't have been nicer.  When I got back to my car, I realized that my girls' preschool had just let out and I was only two blocks away.  I rushed over there to say hello.  No joke, when I pulled into the parking lot, I felt like I was home.  That's just the old sappy mom in me.

While visiting, one of my best friends, who happens to be an assistant teacher there, mentioned that she was going to Target to check out their clearance toys.  I rarely get to see her and jumped at the opportunity to spend some impromptu time together.

While I struck out in the toy department, I did find a few pairs of sparkly shoes.  They had all kinds of colors - silver, gold, black, multi-color purple, and Wizard of Oz red.  My older daughter had an old pair of red ones from a Dorothy costume a few years back.  They are tragically small on her, yet she shoves her little toes nevertheless.  At $3 a pair, how could I resist?  The big one got red ones (which ended up being too small and were replaced with multi-color purple).  The little one got a silver pair.

Every day since, the little one comes home, takes off her regular shoes and slips into her silver shoes.  Every morning upon waking, she puts them on.  They are the first thing on her mind.  The thing she can't wait to come home too.  The thing that makes her feel like a million bucks whether she's wearing pajamas or a dress.  And so I'm left wondering, where are my sparkly shoes?  Don't you wish there was a miracle product for adults?  Or is it that my expectations for any given product are too high?  While I'd like to think a nice chunky diamond would go well with flannel PJs and cocktail dress, my budget doesn't allow me to test that theory.  Oh well...I'm glad $3 did the trick for my gals.  It's totally typical.  I could spend a ton of money on Stride Rite shoes and they refuse to wear them.  Now I have cheapo shoes and they're begging to wear them everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment