Monday, January 31, 2011

Damn you, Girl Scout cookies!

Let me be the first to say that I love the Girl Scout organization and I couldn't be happier that my girls are involved.  I was just writing a friend the other day, talking about how it's cool to see them so empowered.  What I detest, though, is being required to sell stuff to support our involvement.  This isn't exclusive to Girl Scouts - I hate it in any form.  Let me tell you why.

1.  Since my daughters are 7 and 6, it's pretty much MY project.  I made the calls, sent the emails and posted on Facebook.

2.  It opens me to being willing to buy crap from my friends' kids when they are in fundraising mode.  I don't have tons of extra money and I certainly do not need more crap in any form.

3.  We have a small social/family circle to hit up for sales - most of which are in Girl Scouts.

4.  For every box of cookies we sell, the troop gets $0.40.  My mother-in-law gave the troop a $20 donation since she doesn't live locally and didn't really want cookies, yet wants to support her granddaughters.  This is the equivalent of selling 500 boxes of cookies.  Yet, since we only technically sold a total of 48 boxes between my two girls, they are not eligible for any type of reward.  That begins at 50 boxes.  :-( 

5.  And last, I love the cookies.  I can't be trusted with them.  And to even up the total number of boxes sold, I ended up buying seven.  I can feel my jean size growing already. 

Damn you, Girl Scout cookies!  You're evil.  And delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment