Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I was going to whine, but then I learned of a friend with real problems

I had intended to write today about my desire to reject western medicine, much like my husband.  My cocktail of ibuprofen, Flonase and Tamiflu have left my clogged ears untouched, incited dizziness and made me vomit.  I'm done.  No more drugs.  I'm going with lots of fluids, good food and rest.  That was, until I got some news.  My daughter came home today with a note that her teacher's husband passed away this morning.  This man was younger than I am and leaves behind three children between the ages of 7-years-old and 6-months-old.  Suddenly my "problems" seem really small.

I've already cried about this numerous times.  This was a wonderful family, filled with wonderful people doing wonderful things.  Smart, funny, sweet...I have nothing bad to say.  And let's face it.  Good teachers become part of your family.  They're part of the dinner conversation and your partner in parenting. 

The thoughts running through my head are sobering.  You always plan for tomorrow, next week, two years from now and someday.  But we're never guaranteed it will every come.  I've spent a lot of time telling my children "just a minute" or "after I send this email."  The television served as a babysitter while I worked.  On weekends, they spend hours with each other, perfectly entertained - without me.  I sometimes go long periods of time without devoting my full attention to my husband.  I often go a week without spending a morning with my mother.  I haven't seen my brothers in months.  It's easy to get through any of these given days because I assume there will be an opportunity later.  I'm sure my friend thought there'd be another morning, last night. 

I realize it's not healthy to fear the end.  And it's not practical to live each day to its fullest - folks have to work, do laundry and whatever else.  But the sentiment isn't lost.  At all times, cherish the ones you love.  Tell them often.  Do it in person as much as possible.  In the meantime, send positive thoughts to this family.  I can't imagine what their day has been like.  My heart is breaking for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment